Whether or not you are a fan of social media, it is undeniable that there are perks to using this medium to advertise your professional skill set. LinkedIn is the primary way that professionals connect with each other. There are many features to this business oriented profile, and with a few tricks you can easily promote yourself on LinkedIn maximize what LinkedIn has to offer.
Promote Yourself On LinkedIn to Market Your Skills
- First, choose how you want to market yourself. What you put on your page will matter, so make sure it is truthful and accurate. Fill out your initial outline of job experience, making sure to highlight your strong points. Also, be sure that the information on your LinkedIn profile matches the information on your resume. Even a small slip up could come across as dishonestly instead of a mere typo.
- LinkedIn is a great way to emphasize the direction you are headed. If you want to move towards working more in the medical field, be sure that is clear on your profile. Information can be curtailed to highlight relevant experience rather than look like a list of mismatched jobs through the years.
- Filling out your resume information is just the beginning. Next, find friends, family and professional affiliates and add them as connections. There are also groups that you can join. Often times these are specific to your geographic area. Once you join, become active. This can open up additional connections and job opportunities.
Promote Yourself On LinkedIn To Gain Valuable Business Connections
- Be sure to search for co-workers or past employers who could give you recommendations. This is a strong feature on LinkedIn, as these are public representations of your work ethic. Employers know that these are real, because they can click through to the person who wrote the recommendation and view their profile. Make sure to return the favor by doing recommendations for others.
- Keep your profile up to date and congruent with your career goals. The more active you are on LinkedIn, the more likely you are to gain something from your efforts. Always maintain a professional demeanor while communicating in groups or events. Even if you feel comfortable with your connections, the things you write could be visible to employers.
Using LinkedIn is a great way to boost your visibility in the professional arena. With a little diligence, you could find yourself making meaningful connections in the business field.